reasons to envy Bihar
Shri Laloo Prasad Yadav is a unique politician. His rustic idiom, his
informal vocabulary are his trademark. Ironically these have two diametrically
opposite out comes. He rules the hearts of the apolitical common Biharis
on the one hand and earns the wrath of the English speaking sophisticated
people of the country and the English media. He is so much identified
with Bihar that the second category runs down Bihar and the Biharis also
along with Laloo Prasad Yadav.
Kanhaiah Bhelari in The Week of June 1, 2003 has mentioned 5 areas
in which Bihar should be envied.
- A major chunk of students who qualified for the IAS in the last 10
years was from Bihar.
- The Patna model of property taxation had earned kudos from the UN
and is being copied by many countries
- The cooperative movement is making big strides in the state, especially
in the dairy sector.
- Bihar is self depended in grain production and sells rice to 13 other
states of the country. Begusarai is number one maize producer in the
- Bihar is ahead of many states in per-capita deposits, getting Rs.7
thousand crores annually.