Dr. Binayak Sen: Update, 4 July 2007
1. Again Dr Binayak Sen was not produced in the court on 3/7/07claiming lack of escort. This was opposed by the counsel and the court has sent a complaint to the jail to produce him on the next date of hearing. His judicial remand has been extended to 16/7/07
2. On 4th July his bail petition came up for final hearing. After notice the roster had changed and the judge hearing the case was Justice LC Bhadoo. He stated that since he had (recently in june in fact) been appointed Chairman of the Advisory Board under the CSPSAct, the matter should be listed before another Bench. The case has thus been deferred to 13th July.
As many friends as possible should be present in solidarity between 13th and 16th July.
3. An appeal is being circulated by the Medico Friends Circle, Jan Swasthya Abhiyan and CMC Vellore friends to keep the clinic of Dr Binayak Sen going. Doctors are being requested to give a week of time each for this. Please do respond.
4. Just as we are carrying out a campaign to release Dr Binayak Sen, a campaign by democratic rights and civil liberties is going on in Maharashtra to stop the continuing custodial torture of Arun Fereira - a brilliant student of Bombay university picked up at Diksha Bhoomi, Nagpur under vague and unsubstantiated charges of supporting or propogating Naxalite ideology.
5. It is proposed that Chhattisgarh PUCL forms a team to travel to Khandwa and Bhopal . MP to express solidarity to the Indira Sagar oustees who are sitting on an indefinite dharna, in fact on the 26th day of their indefinite fast.
Those interested to join please contact Sudha Bharadwaj 992660877